Sport and Health Sciences at Exeter studies the impact of sport and exercise on lifestyle and health. We work with businesses and the community on research, consultancy and other collaborations.
Our two main areas of work
- Improving health and well being through physical activity to promote a healthy life
- Understanding the factors influencing human performance and exercise tolerance
Examples of our leading research include
- assessment and measurement of physical activity patterns and health outcomes
- psychological and physiological control of exercise intensity
- positive effects of exercise on depression, anxiety and addiction
- positive effects of exercise on stress and decision making
- attitudes towards exercise for people with chronic illness
- physiological and psychological limits of human performance in varying physical environments
- how footwear contact with different surfaces affects performance and injury
Our work is supported by world class research and comprehensive, purpose-built lab facilities to assess physical activity and both physiological and psychological responses to exercise. Our Staff work with people of all ages and all fitness levels.
We work with various organisations including the NHS, local hospitals, health charities, Kellogg’s, Unilever, Glaxo Smith Kline, the Sports Council for Wales and the Rugby Football Union.
Exeter is one of the UK’s top 10 universities and it has an international reputation for teaching and research. Sport and Health Sciences at Exeter is rated 2nd among sport science institutions in the UK.
How we can work with you
For more information about how we can work with you on research, consultancy or other collaborations please contact:
Tel +44 (0)1392 724920