Ethics Policy and Procedures
For any queries related to applying for ethical approval or the Ethics Committee, please contact Sally Discombe, the Ethics Committee Administrator.
- Ethics Submission Deadlines and Committee Dates 2016-17
- Guidelines for Applying to the SHS Ethics Committee (Taught Students)
- Guidelines for Applying to the SHS Ethics Committee (Staff & PGR)
- Ethics Application Form
- Risk Assessments
- Guidelines for Submitting Amendments after Ethics Committee Approval
- Notice of Substantial Amendment Form
- Ethical Standards in Sport and Exercise Science Research 2014 Update .pdf
- University of Exeter Research Ethics Framework 2015 v5.0
Participant Information & Informed Consent
- St. Lukes Laboratories Standard Operating Procedure for Taking Informed Consent
- Example of Informed Consent Form
- Template for Participant Information Sheet (rev 21.3.17)
- Guidelines for checking readability of Participant Information Sheets
Complaints received from study participants should be dealt with according to the procedures outlined in the SHS Ethics Committee Policy on Complaints.
Procedures for recording and reporting adverse events such as injuries, or unexpected physical reactions following a particular procedure, are documented in SHS Ethics Committee Policy on Adverse Events.
Who should I contact?
If your query relates to your study you should contact your supervisor. For all other queries regarding the system, contact the Ethics administrator, Sally Discombe, at email@example.com.
When will my application be considered?
Your application will be considered after the monthly deadlines in the document above. Please remember that the ethics reviewers will have a large number of applications to review, and that if you submit after the deadline you may have to wait until the next month.
Example: The December deadline is the 7th. If you submit on the 8th you could wait up until January 18th (the next deadline). Please take note of the deadlines and ensure you make your application in good time.
Where are the risk assessments?
Information about where to find existing risk assessments can be found in the Health and Safety section.
There is also a form and guidance for creating a new risk assessment.
If you have any URGENT queries regarding risk assessments NOT answered on the above page or in the guidance, please contact David Childs D.J.Childs@exeter.ac.uk.
When can I begin testing?
You can begin testing as soon as you receive the acceptance email from the Ethics system.