Research ethics policies and procedures
For any queries related to applying for ethical approval or the Research Ethics Committee, please contact Rosy Armstrong or Mark Slater, the Ethics Committee Administrators: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Routes to approval are determined in the application form. Path B applications are reviewed by full committee and Path A will be reviewed on an interim basis.
Research Ethics Committee Path B application deadlines and meeting dates for 2020/2021.
|Deadlines for submission 2020/21||Meeting dates 2020/21|
|October 2020||Monday 12||Wednesday 21 October|
|November 2020||Monday 30||Wednesday 9 December|
|January 2021||Monday 25||Wednesday 3 February|
|March 2021||Monday 15||Wednesday 24 March|
|April 2021||Monday 26||Wednesday 5 May|
|June 2021||Monday 7||Wednesday 16 June|
|June 2021||Monday 28||Wednesday 7 July|
Research Ethics Committee members
|Melvyn Hillsdon||Chair of Committee|
|Garrick Taylor||Member (Risk assessment)|
- Guidelines for Applying to the SHS Ethics Committee (Staff & PGR)
- Ethics Application Form v8.1
- University of Exeter Research Ethics Framework 2018
- Ethical Standards in Sports and exercise Science Research 2020 update
- Risk Assessments
- What is the difference between anonymised and pseudonymised data?
- Research Data Management
- Notice of Minor Amendment Form
- Notice of Substantial Amendment Form
- End of study declaration
Research Ethics and Governance webpages:
- Research integrity
- Ethics and good practice (secure)
- Guidance for research online This document has been prepared by the Research Ethics and Governance Team at the University of Exeter in response to the COVID -19 restrictions on face to face research activity. This will be updated as further information becomes available and is subject to change, please ensure you access the latest version (currently v1.1, Jul 2020)
Participant information and informed consent
- St. Lukes Laboratories Standard Operating Procedure for Taking Informed Consent
- Consent form template v1.0_20042018_SHS
- Participant Information Sheet template_v1.0 20042018_SHS
- Guidelines for checking readability of Participant Information Sheets
- Human Tissue Act Compliance
COVID-19 Research Documents
- Lab safety during COVID-19
- Supplementary information for research participants during COVID-19 restrictions
- COVID-19 supplementary participant consent form for existing participants
- COVID Consent Form New Applications 11-8-20
Complaints received from study participants should be dealt with according to the procedures outlined in the SHS Ethics Committee Policy on Complaints.
Procedures for recording and reporting adverse events such as injuries, or unexpected physical reactions following a particular procedure, are documented in SHS Ethics Committee Policy on Adverse Events.
Who should I contact?
If your query relates to your study you should contact your supervisor. For all other queries regarding the system, contact the SHS Ethics Administrator, Rosy Armstrong (or Mark Slater), at email@example.com.
When will my application be considered?
Path A applications are considered once a valid application has been received and forwarded to the reviewer(s).
Path B applications will be considered following the deadlines in the table above. Please remember that the ethics committee will have a large number of applications to review, and that if you submit after the deadline you may have to wait until the next meeting. Please take note of the deadlines and ensure you make your application in good time.
Where are the risk assessments?
The risk assessments along with other related documents such as exercise screening forms can be found on the Sport and Health Sciences SharePoint site.
When can I begin testing?
You can begin testing as soon as you receive the Certificate of Ethical Approval by email from the Ethics Administrator.