Ethics policy and procedures
For any queries related to applying for ethical approval or the Ethics Committee, please contact Mark Slater, the Ethics Committee Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approval is done on an interim basis (Path A) or by committee (Path B); which is determined in the application form.
|Deadlines for submission 2019/20||Meeting dates 2019/20|
|October 2019||Monday 14||Wednesday 23 October|
|November 2019||Monday 25||Wednesday 4 December|
|January 2020||Monday 27||Wednesday 5 February|
|March 2020||Monday 16||Wednesday 25 March|
|April 2020||Monday 27||Wednesday 6 May|
|June 2020||Monday 8||Wednesday 17 June|
|June 2020||Monday 29||Wednesday 8 July|
|Melvyn Hillsdon||Chair of Committee|
|Garrick Taylor||Member (Risk assessment)|
- Applying to the SHS Ethics Committee (Taught Students)
- Guidelines for Applying to the SHS Ethics Committee (Staff & PGR)
- SSHS Ethics Application Form v7.8_09_19
- Risk Assessments
- Notice of Substantial Amendment Form
- Notice of Minor Amendment Form
- Ethical Standards in Sport and Exercise Science Research 2014 Update .pdf
- University of Exeter Research Ethics Framework 2015 v5.0
- HELPDESK Guidance - Power Calculations for Ethics
- Research Ethics and Governance webpages:
Participant information and informed consent
- St. Lukes Laboratories Standard Operating Procedure for Taking Informed Consent
- Consent form template v1.0_20042018_SHS
- Participant Information Sheet template_v1.0 20042018_SHS
- Guidelines for checking readability of Participant Information Sheets
- Human Tissue Act Compliance
Complaints received from study participants should be dealt with according to the procedures outlined in the SHS Ethics Committee Policy on Complaints.
Procedures for recording and reporting adverse events such as injuries, or unexpected physical reactions following a particular procedure, are documented in SHS Ethics Committee Policy on Adverse Events.
Who should I contact?
If your query relates to your study you should contact your supervisor. For all other queries regarding the system, contact the Ethics administrator, Mark Slater, at email@example.com.
When will my application be considered?
Your application will be considered after the monthly deadlines in the document above. Please remember that the ethics reviewers will have a large number of applications to review, and that if you submit after the deadline you may have to wait until the next month.
Example: The December deadline is the 7th. If you submit on the 8th you could wait up until January 18th (the next deadline). Please take note of the deadlines and ensure you make your application in good time.
Where are the risk assessments?
The risk assessments along with other related documents such as exercise screening forms can be found on the Sport and Health Sciences SharePoint site.
When can I begin testing?
You can begin testing as soon as you receive the acceptance email from the Ethics system.