I am MSc by Research student studying how sleep restriction and subsequent caffeine ingestion affects brain function. Specifically, I am interested in the ability of the brain to match local brain blood flow to the local metabolic needs of the brain. I am due to begin a PhD in January 2023 funded by the collaboration between the University of Exeter and University of Queensland, exploring the relationships between cerebrovascular function and sleep, and how this may change across the lifespan.
I also work as a project adminstrator within Research Services at the university. Part of the role involves working as the networking administrator for the Alzheimer's Research UK South West Network, with a large effort focused on organising a scientific conference for the partner institutions.
I completed my undergraduate degree between 2016-2020 at the University of Bath in Sport and Exercise Science. This course offers the opportunity to undertake a one-year professional placement which I chose to complete as a research assistant at the Children's Health and Exercise Centre at the University of Exeter. During this placement I assisted with vascular function and exercise based research, both in an adolescent and adult population, as well as in the creation of an online video series discussing injury prevention in adolescent distance runners, in collaboration with England Athletics.
After finishing my degree, I completed a summer studentship funded by the Physiological Society, which provided me with the opportunity to publish my first, first author paper exploring the relationship between exercise and immune cell function.
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Studies with professional placement - First Class with Honours, 2020
- Project administrator within Research Services, University of Exeter (2022 - present)
- Postgraduate teaching assistant, University of Exeter (2021 - present)
- MSc by Res student, University of Exeter (2021 - present)
- Summer studentship funded by the Physiological Society (2020)
- Research assistant at the Children's Health and Exercise Centre, University of Exeter (2018-2019)
- Academic tutor, MyTutor (2018 - 2020)
Supervision / Group
- Bert Bond
- Gavin Buckingham