Dr Dimitris Vlachopoulos
+44 (0)1392 26 7048
Baring Court 012
Baring Court, University of Exeter St Luke's Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
Dimitris is a Senior Lecturer (Education and Research) at the Sport and Health Sciences department. He joined the Children’s Health and Exercise Research Centre (CHERC) in 2012 to complete his MSc in Paediatric Exercise and Health. His research is focusing on musculoskeletal development and exercise during growth. He completed the Physical Activity Measurement Training in MRC Epidemiology Unit at the University of Cambridge, and the National Training Scheme for Bone Densitometry of Royal Osteoporosis Society. He completed his PhD in 2017 after conducting the PRO-BONE study (Marie Curie EU grant) that included cross-sectional, longitudinal and randomized controlled trial studies focusing on musculoskeltal health of adolescent athletes. His research is published in internationally recognised journals, such as the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise and Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, and used by relevant guidelines from Royal Osteoporosis Society and Public Health England.
Throughout the years, Dimitris was awarded six New/Young Investigator Awards including the British Journal of Sports Medicine (PhD Academy Award 2019, The Peoples’ Choice Award), Royal Osteoporosis Society (ROS), European College of Sport Science (ECSS), Bone Research Society (BRS), International Conference of Children’s Bone Health (ICCBH) and International Congress of Physical Education and Sport Sciences (ICPESS). He has also been the recipient of the Neil Mackenzie Public Engagement Award and the Barbara Mawer travel Fellowship both from Bone Research Society. He was also elected New Investigator representative (non-clinical) of the Bone Research Society in 2018. In 2020 Dimitris completed the Academic Professional Programme and awarded the Fellowship in Higher Education Academy.
Recently Dimitris as the Principal Investigator of University of Exeter and in collaboration with a large European team of acacemics, stakeholders, members of the society and organisations have been awarded a prestigious Horizon 2020 grant (1.1m €) as part of the Science with and for Society-SwafS programme to tackle the increasing societal challenges across Europe. The SEEDS project aims to engage adolescents in designing interventions that will improve their healthy lifestyles by training them in scientific methodologies and increasing their interest in STEM careers.
2020 - Academic Professional Programme completion (APP/PCAP: Level 7/Masters equivalent with Research Specialist Pathway) and the following qualifications obtained: 1) Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PCAP); 2) Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA); 3) Fellowship of ASPIRE; 4) Certificate from the Institute of Apprenticeships - Advance Higher Education.
2017 - PhD, Sport and Health Sciences, University of Exeter - Funded by European Commission – Marie Curie 7th Career Integration Grants.
2015 - Associate Fellowship of Higher Education Academy (AFHEA) - Advance Higher Education.
2014 - MSc, Paediatric Exercise and Health, University of Exeter - Funded by Greek State Scholarships Foundation (IKY).
2013 - Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) - UK Department of Education.
2010 - BSc, Physical Education and Sport Science, Democritus University of Thrace.
His current research focuses on physical activity and exercise intervention programmes aiming to improve lifestyle behaviours, such as physical activity and diet, STEM and musculoskeletal health during growth. His research expertise includes the objective assessment of physical activity and musculoskeletal health, and the effects of sport participation and maturation in health outcomes during growth.
He currently works with large cross-sectional, longitudinal and RCT studies worldwide including the EU Horizon 2020 SEEDS study, the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC) from the UK, the Physical Activity and Nutrition in Childhood (PANIC) study dataset in collaboration with the University of Eastern Finland and the ABCD growth study in collaboration with the Sao Paolo State University in Brazil. He is also involved in large musculoskeltal health reseach projects in Greece (KOMO-BONES) and in clinical population (iBoneFIT study) in Spain.
Bone Research Society: https://boneresearchsociety.org/
European College of Sport Science: http://sport-science.org/
European Commision Horizon 2020: https://ec.europa.eu/research/swafs/index.cfm
- 2021 Juho Vainio Foundation
The longitudinal role of physical activity, nutrition and endocrine factors with bone health from childhood to adolescence. The PANIC study.
- 2021 China Scholarship Council and University of Exeter
China Scholarship Council and University of Exeter PhD Scholarship: Quantifying the role of physical activity, nutrition and body composition for musculoskeletal health during growth and in adulthood using experimental studies and population-based datasets.
- 2020 Horizon 2020
Science Engagement to Empower Disadvantaged Adolescents (SEEDS) The general objective of the SEEDS is to engage adolescents from deprived neighbourhoods in designing interventions that will improve their healthy lifestyles by training them in scientific methodologies, increasing their interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) careers and to empower them by enhancing their critical thinking capabilities.
- 2018 Sao Paulo Research Foundation
Bone and soft tissue adaptations according to sports practised during adolescence: ABCD growth study
- 2018 The Physiology Society
The Physiological Society Travel Grant
- 2018 Bone Research Society
The Bone Research Society Barbara Mayer Travelling Fellowship
- 2017 CLES Strategic Development Fund
- 2014 EU Marie Curie Training Grant
PhD Scholarship Grant
- 2013 Greek State Scholarships Foundation (IKY)
MSc scholarship grant
Publications by category
Publications by year
Dimitris_Vlachopoulos Details from cache as at 2022-11-29 23:40:57
External Engagement and Impact
Awards and Honours
- British Journal of Sports Medicine, PhD Academy Award 2019, The Peoples’ Choice Award.
- Young Investigator Award at the Osteoporosis Conference of National Osteoporosis Society, December 2018, Birmingham, UK.
- Young Investigator Award winner at 23rd annual congress of the European College of Sport Science, July 2018, Dublin, Ireland.
- Neil Mackenzie Public Engagement Award, Bone Research Society, June 2018, Southampton, UK.
- Bone Research Society New Investigator Award at the BRS Annual Conference. June 2018, Winchester, UK.
- New Investigator Award at the 8th International Conference of Children’s Bone Health, June 2017, Würzburg, Germany.
- Young Investigator Award at the 24th International Congress of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, May 2016, Komotini, Greece.
- Postgraduate Research Enhancement Fund awarded to attend European Calcified Tissue Congress, March 2016, Rome, Italy.
- Honorary DXA Practitioner, Plymouth Hospital NHS Trust, Healthy Bones Unit, March 2014, Plymouth, UK.
- Postgraduate Research Enhancement Fund awarded to complete the National Training Scheme for Bone Densitometry of National Osteoporosis Society - January 2014, Birmingham, UK.
Journal Reviewer roles:
- Section Editor of Children and Exercise: Journal of Sport Science and Medicine
- Review Editor: Frontiers in Sports and Active Living
- Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism
- BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders
- BMC Pediatrics
- BMC Public Health
- Bone Reports
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- European Journal of Applied Physiology
- European Journal of Nutrition
- European Journal of Sports Science
- Frontiers in Physiology
- International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
- Journal of Aging and Physical Activity
- Journal of Clinical Densitometry
- Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions
- Journal of Sports Science and Medicine
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise
- Osteoporosis International
- Paediatric Exercise Science
- PLOS One
- The Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism
- The Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
- The Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
- Royal Osteoporosis Society Expert group member (2020) for evidence review on muscle and bone strengthening activities for children and young people.
- Scientific consultant (Since 2019) of OKE Basketball Club in Elefsina, Athens focusing on Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) and annual health screening of academy.
- Widening participation representative of Sport and Health Sciences department (since 2018) responsible to organise and deliver sessions and events for schools by liaising with Widening Participation Coordinator of the college.
- Dimitris was elected New Investigator representative (non-clinical) of the Bone Research Society in 2018 and he is involved in activities to develop early career researchers on the field.
- Dimitris is member of the prestigious Young Investigator Award winners community of the European College of Sport Science.
Invited lectures & workshops
- Invited speaker at National Rinck Convention Master Coach Course by European Handball Federation. Assessment tests of physical fitness in elite young Handball athletes. 7-11th July 2021.
- Invited speaker at National Rinck Convention Master Coach Course by European Handball Federation. Long term athlete development (LTAD) of Handball related skills during growth and characteristics of elite young Handball athletes 7-11th July 2021.
- Invited speaker at All about Marathon scientific workshop. Should children train and run marathons? National Kapodistrian University of Athens, Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre, Athens Greece, November 2019.
- Invited speaker at Football is Medicine Conference. Bone effects of football participation during growth. University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark, January 2019.
- Invited speaker at Sports Excellence unit of Regeneration and Progress NGO (funded by Stavros Niarchos Foundation) in Athens Medical School. June 2019.
- Invited lecturer at Sao Paolo State University, Post-Graduate Program in Movement Sciences. Paediatric bone physiology and exercise during growth. Presidente Prudente, Brazil, April 2018.
- Invited speaker at Medical Laboratory of Human Health and Performance. Physiological adaptations during exercise training in pediatric population. Sao Jose Hospital. Rio de Janeiro Brazil, April 2018.
- Invited speaker at Arctic University of Norway. How different loading sports affect bone development and an intervention to improve it? Tromsø, Norway, November 2017.
- Invited speaker at Rowing Club Argonauts. The role of maturation on long term athlete development. Kastoria, Greece, August 2017.
- Invited speaker at Arctic University of Norway. The impact of sport participation on bone health in adolescent males. Tromsø, Norway, November 2016.
- Invited presenter at Muscle and Bone Workshop – Bone Research Society Annual Meeting. Bone outcome differences in adolescent male athletes engaged in UK popular sport. University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK, June 2016.
- Invited presenter at New Investigator Workshop – Bone Research Society Annual Meeting. Exercise and bone health in adolescents engaged in different sports. Sheffield Medical School, Sheffield, UK, June 2014.
Journal and book series Editorships and Editorial board membership
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Society for Bone & Mineral Research (ASBMR)
- Bone Research Society (BRS)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES)
- Children’s Alliance
- European Calcified Tissue Society (ECTS)
- European College of Sport Science (ECSS)
- Mediterranean Lifestyle Medicine Institute
- Paediatric Work Physiology group (PWP)
- Royal Osteoporosis Society (ROS)
- International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA)
- International Society for Clinical Densitometry (ISCD)
- The Physiological Society
- His article published in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research (JBMR, IF: 6.3) was ranked No2 at the Top Attention Grabbing papers from JBMR journal for 2017 with Altmetric score 305, and the paper was used in public health guidelines including the Royal Osteoporosis Society and Public Health England Muscle and bone strengthening activities for children and young people (5 to 18 years).
- Dimitris was invited in various interviews including Science Daily, Good Morning Science, Swimming Science, Radio Exe among others.
- 2020 - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- 2015 - Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy (AFHEA)
- ESS1006 - Human Anatomy and Kinanthropometry
- ESS1007 - Human Physiology
- ESS3703 - Paeditric Exercise Physiology
- SMSM014 - Paediatric Exercise and Health
- The effect of a co-created intervention on physical activity and diet behaviours , and STEM interest in adolescents.
- The role of physical activity, body composition and nutrition in relation to musculoskeletal health during growth.
- Profile of elite youth handball athletes and the role of maturation for fitness performance.
- The effects sports participation and plyometric training on bone health in adolescents.